“ Is any among you sick? Let him call for the presbyters off the Church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven “ (Jas 5: 14-15).
Each time a Christian falls seriously ill, he may receive the Anointing of the Sick, and also when, after he has received, the illness worsens.
The special grace of the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick has as effects:
- the uniting of the sick person to the passion of Christ, for his own good and that of the whole Church;
- the strengthening, peace, and courage to endure in a Christian manner the sufferings of illness or old age;
- the forgiveness of sins, if the sick person was able to obtain it through the sacrament of Penance;
- the restoration of health, if it is conducive to the salvation of his soul;
- the preparation for passing over to eternal life.
CCC 1526, 1529, 1532.